Thursday, July 15, 2010

Zoo day

We packed our lunch, jumped on a train, hopped on a ferry across the harbour to Taronga Zoo. In between oodles of cinnamon donuts from my local bakery we saw a few animals and took a few photos. Unfortunately the donuts didn’t tempt the animals to jump the fence and runaway with me in my handbag.

As an all-time lover of elephants (a love originating from the similarities of my name Elyse to the word elephant), I was super-excited to see the baby elephant nicknamed Mister Shuffles. If you can’t make it to the zoo before he grows up, make sure you follow him on Twitter (@MisterShuffles). The elephant playtime made me fall in love with these intelligent animals even more, watching them kick around soccer balls, play frisbee and balance on logs. It also made me feel sad for the elephant in Phnom Penh, Cambodia who walks around Wat Phnom all day, every day.

A few other favourites were the gangly giraffes and striking zebras, both of which I fell in love with in Kenya. (In Kenya, we almost went to a giraffe orphanage, but went to an animal orphanage instead :O )

This time next week I’ll be at the Adelaide Zoo visiting the Giant Pandas, so it won’t be long before I’m blogging about zoos again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Followers